PHOENIX – Charles Oliveira is no for a longer time the UFC lightweight champion without having even throwing a punch.
In a breathtaking change of situations Friday, Oliveira skipped fat on his 1st and next tries. As a final result, he will be forced to vacate the title once his UFC 274 headliner towards Justin Gaethje commences. If Oliveira wins, the belt will stay vacant. If Gaethje wins, he will come to be champion.
“Due to the body weight miss, Oliveira will forfeit a share of his purse. As of this instant, Charles Oliveira remains the UFC light-weight champion, but on the start out of the key event headliner tomorrow night he will vacate the 155-pound title,” UFC claimed in a statement. “The battle will progress as scheduled, but the championship will only be on the line for Gaethje. If Oliveira wins, he will be the No. 1 contender for the vacant light-weight championship and will battle the following challenger for the undisputed title belt at a time and area to be identified.”
Oliveira (32-8 MMA, 20-8 UFC) was amongst the closing number of fighters to action on the scale throughout the weigh-in window. He necessary the curtain and registered a mark of 155.5 kilos. For every the Arizona fee procedures, Oliveira was provided a single hour to slash the 50 %-pound in purchase to make the championship restrict.
Oliveira took the full our, returned to the scale with the curtain, and a once more weighed in at 155.5.
Oliveira, who missed pounds numerous situations whilst competing as a featherweight, hadn’t skipped bodyweight since returning to lightweight in April 2017. Just minutes right before UFC 274 weigh-ins began, Oliveira tweeted that he was presently on weight.
excess weight ✔️
— Charles ‘DoBronxs’ Oliveira (@CharlesDoBronxs) May well 6, 2022
It’s not identified if Oliveira is continue to qualified to receive pay-for each-look at details now that he’s no longer champion.
UFC 274, which normally takes area Saturday at Footprint Centre, has a main card airing on shell out-per-view subsequent prelims on ESPN and ESPN+.
Full UFC 274 weigh-in results are down below:
Principal CARD (Pay-per-check out, 10 p.m. ET)
- Charles Oliveira (155.5)* vs. Justin Gaethje (155)
- Rose Namajunas (115) vs. Carla Esparza (115)
- Michael Chandler (156) vs. Tony Ferguson (155.5)
- Mauricio Rua (205.5) vs. Ovince Saint Preux (205)
- Donald Cerrone (155.5) vs. Joe Lauzon (155.5)
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN/ESPN+, 8 p.m. ET)
- Andre Fialho (170.5) vs. Cameron VanCamp (170)
- Randy Brown (170.5) vs. Khaos Williams (170)
- Macy Chiasson (145.5) vs. Norma Dumont (146.5)**
- Brandon Royval (125.5) vs. Matt Schnell (125.5)
- Blagoy Ivanov (253.5) vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima (258.5)
EARLY PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 5:30 p.m. ET)
- Danny Roberts (170.5) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (170.5)
- Tracy Cortez (125.5) vs. Melissa Gatto (125)
- Kleydson Rodrigues (125.5) vs. CJ Vergara (126)
- Ariane Carnelossi (115.5) vs. Loopy Godinez (115)
- Fernie Garcia (135.5) vs. Journey Newson (135.5)
* Oliveira missed lightweight title limit by .5 pounds on each makes an attempt stripped of belt
** Dumont missed women’s featherweight restrict by .5 ponds fined 30 per cent of purse